Saturday, June 6, 2015

Day 2 of the Polish superchallenge :-D

I'm late... because I didn't just take the words from the 1000 most common words list as they were, I had to make it more difficult for me :-D
BUT I don't want to learn Polish to be able to communicate with Polish people and keep me à jour with Polish things, I want to learn Polish to be able to read The Witcher in original language, so my goal is specific, and it doesn't help me to learn things like fridge and representative democracy. It helps me to learn words like sword, sheath and saddle :-D

So, I'm late. I'm not going to be bothered by that, just continue.
I have made my wordlist, I have waded through the nouns and particles, I need to do the same with adjectives and verbs. Not looking forward to that.
The declination and comparison and all that seems to be pretty easy and self-evident.
Polish reminds me a lot of Finnish. :-D Especially the "kto/co"
I also need to work with the prepositions today.

Polish prepositions - we are talking about the purple dot 
that is
next to/beside - above - below/under
in front of - behind - between
inside - outside  - around
far from - near/close - with you

BTW, I found this cute image about the French prepositions
Really cute.
As far as I know - and it's not necessary correct, so don't quote me -
"à droite" is "po prawej stronie", and "à gauche" is "po lewej stronie"
and "en face de" is "naprzeciwko"

Some parsing is always good to understand and learn to use the prepositions. I learned "sur" through "sur le pont d'Avignon", so I wanted to see what it is in Polish, and the Polish Wikipedia article about the song says this:

Sur le pont d’Avignon – Treść piosenki opowiada o ludziach tańczących na moście,
choć w rzeczywistości prawdopodobnie tańczyli oni pod mostem (sous le pont).

subject    song  to tell about people to dance+ing on bridge
nom.sg  gen.sg 3.sg present - loc.pl  loc.pl.v. - loc.sg
although in reality probably to dance they under bridge
 - - loc.sg. - 3. pl.v. past nom.pl - instr.sg

Very nice, as it has a lot of prepositions. From it I also learn that the word "o" is connected to is in locative, and so it is with "na" and "w", but "pod" has its noun in instrumental. (Or, to be clear, these prepositions come with other cases as well, but that changes the meaning of the preposition a little. Of course. USUALLY they come like this.)

I still haven't found a good way to show parsing on the internet. I do it in my journal, and there I can use all kinds of colors and draw arrows to show the relations etc. etc. but I expect you to figure it out, if you want to.   

Then I was thinking about Eddie Izzard's Cake or Death! and the whole monkey business :-D

kot śpi w łóżku (locative)
pies jest pod stołem (instrumental)

małpa siedzi na gałęzi (locative)

While checking if those sentences are correct, I came across this one:
Czy mogę spać z kotem w łóżku?
Can I sleep with a cat in the bed? Cat in instrumental, bed in locative. Finnish doesn't have either case, but they are pretty obvious. Instrumental case answers the question "with whom or what the action is completed" - what or who is used as the instrument or means.
- sleeping is completed with the cat in bed. How the bridge becomes an instrument when the dancing is done under it, or the table when being happens under it, beats me, but I'm sure there is a quite rational reasoning behind it. :-D (dancing is completed with the bridge above? Being is completed with the table above?)
Locative case answers the question "where" - whether it is in a real, physical place, placed in time or thoughts. Cat is in the bed. The people in the song are dancing on the bridge, or "in reality" probably under it.


BTW, in Finnish it is "sillalla" (on the bridge) and "sillan alla" (under the bridge - one of the rare postpositions in Finnish.) The "kissa" can sleep "sängyssä" (in the bed) or "sängyllä" (on the bed), the "koira" is "pöydän alla" (under the table) and "apina" is "oksalla" (on the branch). or "puussa" (in the tree) 

BTW. I tried the Goldlist method. I gave it a year. It doesn't work for me.  Yes, I understand the sentences, after having read them once with full understanding and then just writing them down, and not bothering to learn anything. I wouldn't be able to actually repeat any of those sentences, or use any of the information in those sentences.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment