Wednesday, June 10, 2015

"i stał się wieczór, i stał się zaranek, dzień szósty."

June 10th is my niece's birthday. I'm writing this on August 9th, my father's birthday... He died 6 years ago. I still miss him so much it hurts.

10 czerwca są urodziny mojej siostrzenicy.
Urodziłem się 19 kwiecień 1969 roku.

(And in the subject of tongue twisters; here's 999999999999   
dziewięćset dziewięćdziesiąt dziewięć miliardy dziewięćset dziewięćdziesiąt dziewięć miliony dziewięćset dziewięćdziesiąt dziewięć tysięcy dziewięćset dziewięćdziesiąt dziewięć)

The baffling world of Polish months
(BTW, January might come from stykać (to touch, to connect) as "that's where the years are connected to each other", and not from ściąć (to cut off, to cut down trees)

Styczeń - connecting month
Luty - cruel month
Marzec - March
Kwiecień - flower month
Maj - May
Czerwiec - Cochineal month
Lipiec - linden month
Sierpień - sickling month
Wrzesień - heather month
Październik - shiving or swingling month
Listopad - leaf fall
Grudzień - lumping month

Reminds me of the "baffling world" of Finnish months :-D

Tammikuu - oak month (oak means also the core, heart of something)
helmikuu - pearl month (ice beads)
maaliskuu - earth/ground/soil month
huhtikuu - burn clearing month
toukokuu - spring sowing month
kesäkuu - summer month
heinäkuu - hay month
elokuu - harvest month
syyskuu - autumn month
lokakuu - sleet month
joulukuu - Christmas month

Anyway, this is not what I came here to talk about :-D


I was trying to figure out the case suffixes in Polish, and was wondering why they are so different, and how am I going to figure it out, and then I remembered that Polish nouns have gender :-D
Funnily enough, that made all the difference X-]

About that word list above - "Chrząszcz by Jan Brzechwa is a poem famous for being considered one of the hardest-to-pronounce texts in Polish literature."


The thing with Polish pronunciation is that you do NOT pronounce every letter :-D

I mean, the first line of the poem is "W Szczebrzeszynie chrząszcz brzmi w trzcinie"

If you pronounce every letter as it should be, you'd be saying [v sh-tsh-e-b-zh-e-sh-ynie kh-sh-on-sh-tsh b-sh-m-i v t-sh-shi-nie],
but in reality you are saying [v shtebsheshenie shontsh beshmi v tshinie]
- so you leave out A LOT of the "shs". And there are no Rs in there... RZ is a totally different letter.


For instance, if you, like myself, are a fan of the world’s largest rodent, you might one day say: Mam kapibarę (I have a capybara). 
But what about the opposite? Simple: Nie mam kapibary (I don’t have a capybara). 
I’ll come with the capybara? Przyjdę z kapibarą. 
I’m talking to you about the capybara? Rozmawiam z tobą o kapibarze. 
You get the idea.
- 5 Very Good, Very Specific Tips To Learn Polish
 They are actually very good tips. Use them. For every language you are learning.


No comments:

Post a Comment