Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Some basic Korean to make the KDrama more fun :-)

At least to a language freak :-)

yes (I agree with your statement, that's right, OK, positive)


ne


ye

no (I disagree with your statement, that's not right, negative)

아니
ani

아니오
anio

I get it, I understand
알았어
arasso
(Funny thing is that in Russian хорошо - harasho - means "good", "well", "ok", "I agree", "enough"

shut up!
닥쳐
dagchyeo

get out!
나가!
naga!

let go!
가자!
gaja!

I'll kill you!
내가 당신을 죽일거야
naega dangsin-eul jug-ilgeoya

In Korean, kinship terms are often used when speaking of non-kinship relations. A younger co-worker could call an older co-worker of about the same age "big sister" or "big brother", but it could be considered uncomfortably familiar... but keep your ears open when watching the dramas. These words come up often.

big sister
언니   -  누나
eonni (used by a female) - nuna (used by a male)

big brother 
오빠  - 
oppa (used by a female) - hyeong (used by a male)

Also, all older people are your "aunts" and "uncles". 
Interestingly this happens also in Finland, EXCEPT THAT IT'S ONLY KIDS WHO DO IT. For an adult to call other adults uncles and aunts - unless they really are your parents' siblings - is... well, either you are intellectually a child, or you are being rude.

aunt, lady, madame (middle-aged woman, my parents' female friend)
아줌마
ajumma, ahjumma

uncle, mister (middle-aged man, my parents' male friend)
아저씨
ajeossi, ahjussi

Read this: Korean pronouns

Other things that are being said all the time is:

I will work hard. (The formal way, used when speaking with your boss for example)
열심히 일하겠습니다.
Pronounciation:
Yeol-shim-hi il-ha-get-sub-ni-da.

I will work my hardest.
최선을 다하겠습니다.
Pronounciation:
chwe-seon-neul da-ha-get-sub-ni-da.

I will try to work hard.
열심히 일하도록 노력하겠습니다.
Pronounciation:
Yeol-shim-hi il-ha-do-rok no-ryeok-ha-get-sub-ni-da.  


I'll work hard (informal way, with friends)
열심히할께.
yeol-shim-hi hal-ge

I will work hard, so please take care of me
열심히 일하겠습니다. 잘 부탁드립니다 

Yeol-shim-hi il-ha-get-sub-ni-da. Jal bu-tag-deu-lib-ni-da.
 
You have worked hard 
수고했어요
Su-go-haess-eo-yo

Other things of interest to know:
top 20 Korean conversational phrases you need to know
(It's on two pages, so don't miss page 2)

Useful Korean phrases
Korean phrases
Learn these Korean phrases first

13 Korean words we know just from watching K-dramas 

15 Korean Phrases Every K-drama Addict Should Know

10 interesting Korean phrases/words 


Added 7th of May 2018

1) kureso
I guess it might be "그래서(geu-rae-seo)?" meaning "so?" or "so, what?"

2) kureum
It could be "그럼(geu-reom)" meaning "so,..","then,...","well,..."

3) kureuseyo - 그러세요(geu-reo-se-yo)
I think this phrase needs examples.^^
A : Can I comment on your post? - 댓글 달아도 되나요?
B : Sure.(그러세요)

A : Mind if I comment on your post? - 댓글 달아도 되나요?
B : No, I don't mind, go ahead (그러세요)

A : I am the person who commented on your post. 제가 댓글 단 사람입니다.^^
B : Are you?(그러세요?) What a surprise!

4) kuruchi - 그렇지?(geu-reo-chi)
This phrase works like tag question in English.

You're kidding, aren't you? 농담하는 거지, 그렇지?
You did comment on her post, didn't you? 네가 댓글 달았지, 그렇지?


italki  

No comments:

Post a Comment