Thursday, July 11, 2019

I am very pleased with myself :-D

I was sitting by the kitchen table, and my husband said "jag vill ha mamma-kaffe".
(It's a long story, but the short of it is that "mamma-kaffe" is the coffee mommy makes - basically he wanted me to make him a cup of coffee. No, I am not his mom, he's not my dad, but I'm the mom of the family and he's the dad. Anyway...)
Now, he is Danish but our home language is Swedish.
I have been studying Danish, with extra focus on pronunciation, so I started thinking how to say it in Danish.
It is written "Jeg vil have mamma-kaffe" but pronounced about the same. ABOUT the same...
So... I tried to pronounce it, and it went well until I got to "mamma". It came out Norwegian.
(Jeg vil ha mamma-kaffe)
So I started experimenting and trying to pronounce it in Danish, and finally I got it right :-D

Danish is spoken deep in the mouth and it uses the whole mouth. The other languages are quite light and airy and more sung... though Swedish sounds a bit pretentious and Norwegian a bit whiny ;-) No... Norwegian is very clearly articulated. You sound immediately more Norwegian if you articulate the consonants very carefully and clearly. And mind the vowels. Those are more important to getting the sound of the language right.

So - to get "mamma" to sound Danish, you have to use the Danish "a" and stød.
And I got it right :-D It sounded Danish and my husband approved :-)
YAY!

Then something different:

10 Most Accomplished Polyglots – They’re Truly Amazing!

10 Most Impressive Polyglots In World History 

I want to be amazing and impressive, too! 

1 comment:

  1. :D with this practice and learning languages, you should try yourself as a freelance translator or work for a translation agency

    ReplyDelete