Saturday, June 22, 2019

Daily workout




Maltese. Why are you being so... unco-operative? I just want to learn you. Why is that too much to ask? I mean, I want to learn you so much that I'm willing to learn Arabic to learn you. ARABIC, for crying out loud! And you are just being stupid and mean. :-(

What I mean with this: għala bieb żobbi
It means "I don't give a damn". No fucks given. (għ is silent) Ok, I get it.
But - għala is why. Or... is it? It's hard to know. Basically, all we have is Google translate, and we all know what that is. Bieb is a door. Żobbi is dick. Ras żobbi is dickhead. Idiot. A very stupid person.
"Why door dick?" How... how do you get from that to "I don't give a fuck"?
And you can leave the door out. The Maltese people had a lot of fun when a Maltese teenager said "x'ala zobbi" when he was supposed to say "welcome" in Maltese. You see? Not one word of explanation. They just say it's "hilarious" and "cheeky". "Who gives a shit" isn't "hilarious" and "cheeky". It's rude. But - you see, bieb is optional.
In most languages the people find things like that about their mothertongue funny and are more than willing to tell all kinds of things about it to everyone who cares to listen. Just look at all the THOUSANDS of such things about Finnish naughty expressions. I have some in this blog. I mean... we just can't stop ourselves! But - the Maltese people, oh no. They want to have their language for themselves. :-(

Yes, I'm moping. You are being stupid and mean. :-(


I am so blessed to have a Danish husband. Danish language is notoriously difficult to pronounce. It's easy to learn, the vocabulary and grammar are like any Germanic language, no problems there. But the vowels... and stød.



Duolingo... I mean... *sigh* It's so nice they add all these languages, and I get really excited and jump straight in... and then... *sigh*
WE NEED THE PRONUNCIATION.
So, some kind soul has made a Memrise course in Duolingo Irish, simply because Duolingo is sloppy about the pronunciation. 

And... don't teach me biachlár and buachaill at the same time! I mean, is "a menu" REALLY one of the first words you need to know in any language? And wouldn't it really be enough to call it "menu" until you learn the "real" name? Which restaurant doesn't know what a "menu" is, and needs you to use the correct name for the thing?


Welsh is also not so good at Duolingo. :-( But - together with Memrise (or Memrise Decks, as it is, because the Duolingo courses are member created.) it will do.

The Memrise support for Hebrew is absolutely necessary! I hate it when Duolingo doesn't much care about the sound. :-(


So... I created my own Chinese course - as support for Duolingo and also for other things I thought of when trying to learn Chinese.






No comments:

Post a Comment