Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Discovery Sámi


Now, I find it really hard to know what she actually says, but the following might help a little.

Mun lean ... - I am ...
Mu namma lea ... - My name is ...

Mun lean sápmelaš - I am Sámi (of Sámi people)

Mun lean Rensjönes mu áhkku luhtte - I am at my grandmother's house at Reindeer Lake (Rensjö, in Swedish)
(áhkku is grandmother, old woman, great-aunt)

This is my favourite place on earth.
báiki máilmmes/máilbmes- place on earth.
vuordámuš  -  expectation; hope ?
dá  -  here (in this place)
son lea - he/she/it is
dá lea here is

My grandmother has taught me all about Sámi traditions.
oahpahit - to teach
has taught? lea oahpahu?

I'm so thankful that I'm able to learn from her.
giitalit - to thank

I started to joik when I was young.
Mun álgin juoigat go mun ledjen unni
('unni' - small, not young, which is 'nuorra')

Joiking is a way of expressing your feelings.

geaidnu - way

When I'm happy, the joik i shappy,

go mun lean ilolaš, --- ilolaš luohti

and when I'm out in nature I sing what I see.

meahcci - forest, wilderness, nature

Every time I joik, my link to the Sámi way of life becomes stronger.



There is so little information available online, and I don't have any textbooks, grammars, dictionaries or anything with me right now, so this is so difficult it makes me want to cry... :´( It feels so frustrating and impossible.

Gulahalan is really good in the sense of teaching you the idea of the language. One could use it to "sentence mine".
This list of words was very good
Also, I found a PDF Northern Sámi lessons - I don't know which one was first, this thread in UniLang, or that PDF...

I suppose it's just to learn all that, and then try again.

No comments:

Post a Comment